The Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors Initiative
An initiative that identifies and honor young leaders who support development of the youth, by the youth and for the youth
The Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors (YMDAs) is a global initiative uniting youth leaders and leaders of youth focused organizations serving as catalysts of social change, transforming local communities and championing the realization of the global development through thoughts, words and actions in local communities, by utilizing the energies, resourcefulness and abilities of young people.
The initiative recognizes prominent community youth advocates and inspire, empower, connect, utilize and celebrate their contributions towards global development.Launched in 2011 in the nation of Sierra Leone to mark the United Nations International Youth Day, the Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors Initiative has quickly become recognized for its vision to mobilize young people to make the commitment to eradicate poverty, close the divide between humanity, and build a more positive global society.The YMDAs empower youth leaders to bridge the global development divide and facilitate the emergence of a world without borders where all young people have the right to education and sustainable development.
The Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors work as volunteers to localize the global development goals in their local communities. Members are global youth development ambassadors who are inspired by the challenges in their communities and seek to transform challenges to opportunities through youth service.
The Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors award is a celebration of commitment and a commission to a higher duty and responsibility which recognizes past accomplishments, potential to do more, and a partnership for global development and peace.The Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors initiative is a program of development of the young people, by the young people and for the young people. The commissioned Youth Development Ambassadors work in their local communities and around the world to facilitate the realization of the global development goals, which among others are:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empower women
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- Promote global partnership for development
By accepting to be commissioned as a Youth Millennium Development Ambassador, young leaders are voluntarily agreeing to join others to make sustainable commitments with personal and public resources to facilitate the realization of the above stated goals beginning from their family, community, state and nation and working with others around the world. Some of the on-going programs of the Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors include promoting family development initiatives, establishment of MDGs Clubs in schools and training of young teachers and students on MDGs Education. In communities, the Youth Development Ambassadors are establishing MDGs Centers and creating MDGs Councils. Recently, the YMDA launched the Mr. and Miss MDGs Ambassador, which is a beauty for development program that encourages young people to utilize their beauty and ability for community development. The YMDA is also promoting the launch of West Africa Youth Service (WAYS), which we hope shall grow into the International Youth Service Corps scheme. In Sierra Leone, the Voices of Youth radio show has been approved and efforts are on-going to begin the Voices of Students radio show in Nigeria. The Youth MDGs Soccer Tournament is also an initiative of the YMDA.
Frequent seminars, conferences and summits on the MDGs and other development issues are being held by the Youth Development Ambassadors as well as many specific projects to address each of the goals. Many outstanding youth leaders are identifying with the initiative and supporting projects.
This recognition as a Youth Millennium Development Ambassador seeks to:
- Inspire young people with a new global vision of development of the people, by the people and for the people
- Empower young people with the needed professional development opportunities
- Connect young people to information, colleagues and to resources for development
- Encourage young people to utilize personal and public resources effectively for development
- Celebrate young person’s accomplishment, dedication and commitment to the realization of the MDGs
To become a Youth Millennium Development Ambassador:
- You may be nominated by self or someone to become a Youth Millennium Development Ambassador. Fill the Youth Ambassador’s Nomination Form here
- Each nominated person will receive a letter of approval/disapproval of nomination and approved nominations are expected toconfirm the acceptance to serve in the nominated capacity.
- Depending on the country, arrangements for commissioning ceremony of Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors may involve some administrative costs to cover hosting of the events and other logistics. In other cases, certificates and medals shall be mailed to persons whose nominations have been approved and confirmed.
- By becoming a Youth Millennium Development Ambassador, you are voluntarily agreeing to use your personal and public resources to advancing the realization of the development of the youth, by the youth and for the youth in your chosen area of activities.
- The programs and projects of the Youth Millennium Development Ambassadors shall be added to the Acts of the Youth Ambassadors Profile on our website, facebook group and even hard copy publications.
- For more information, please kindly contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org or call +2348059964018
- Website: http://ww.mdgambassadors.org
To nominate, click here http://mdgambassadors.org/youth-ambassadors-normination-form/